“Do you love Me?” – John 21:17
Does not Jesus in thus appealing to me, in effect say:
- For you, I left the realms of glory, and the adoration of ten thousand times ten thousand holy ones!
- For you, I became incarnate, took on the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men.
- For you, I obeyed the law and wrought a perfect righteousness for your justification.
- For you, I endured the cross, and despised the shame.
- For you, I gave My back to the smiters, and My cheeks to those who plucked off the hair.
- For you, I endured the crown of thorns and gave My hands and My feet to be nailed to the tree.
- For you, I shed My blood, and laid down My life!
- I loved you with a love of pity and compassion—when you were dead in trespasses and sins!
- I opened your eyes, revealed to you your sinfulness and guilt, and awakened your cry for mercy.
- I sought you in your wanderings—and found you!
- I brought you up out of the horrible pit, and miry clay—and set your feet upon the rock.
- I have loved you with an everlasting love—and therefore with loving-kindness have I drawn you!
-Unknown Puritan Author-